Here’s a quick overview of the Hatteras Island restaurant scene for 2012. If we left anybody out or got anything wrong, please let us know.
Today’s focus is on the tri-village area of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo.
Atlantic Coast Café – already open. Seafood, salads, baskets, burgers, sandwiches, BBQ, wraps, reubens, dinner specials and great breakfasts. Fresh coffee and nice selection of teas offered plus cold beer.
– currently open for dinner Wed. through Sat. Beginning May 1, they will be open Tues. too. They will also be open on Mother’s Day. Remember they are no longer in the big brown multi-story shopping center but are down the road in the brick strip mall beside the post office, opposite Frank’s OBX Dog House and Sunset Salon.
Down Under –
haven’t been here in years. If you are craving a kangaroo burger, this is your place. Every off-season the owner puts a sign up trying to sell the place. Funny thing, before liquor by the drink passed, Down Under opened up a tennis court. Why? Because if you had a “club,” you could serve drinks to members.
Frank’s OBX Dog House
– good dogs. Who else decorates their place with classic Vanilla Fudge and Cold Blood album covers?!
Good Winds Seafood & Wine Bar
– in the Kitty Hawk Kites complex. Great view of the Pamlico Sound. Pricey, but nice. Good selection of beer and wine.
– wiped out by hurricane. Owner died. Not likely they will reopen this season.
Leonardo’s Pizza –
don’t think they will be open. Heard they got hit hard by the hurricane. My daughter loved this take-out place when she was here for Beach Week a few years ago.
Lisa’s Pizzeria –
assume they will be open. Popular with the surfing and fishing crowd.
MOJO’s Sunset Café
– at Real flagship store. They offer fresh fish, pulled pork, chicken, sandwiches and they are one of the few places that serve breakfast in the tri-villages. Don’t miss Taco Tuesday. Staff is friendly. Occasional live music.
Sting Wray’s (formerly Uncle Pauly’s)
– opening Mother’s Day with the same Caribbean-style menu. Love the scallop appetizer.
– not food, I know, but this is a great place to get your hair cut, nails done, hair colored and styled and permed and all that stuff. Terese is really good, reasonably priced, and you can catch up on all the island gossip. Shares the building with Frank’s OBX Dog House.
Top Dog Café
– usually open Easter through mid-October. They have the “biggest burgers on the Outer Banks,” dogs, wraps, fish tacos, etc. We like it because you sit on a shaded, screened porch and get a feel for the pulse of the island.